History


The Estate

The exact date that The Temple was built is unknown but we believe that it was between 1785 and 1790. It was first built as an L shaped building and used as a private residence, before being bought....

The exact date that The Temple was built is unknown but we believe that it was between 1785 and 1790. It was first built as an L shaped building and used as a private residence, before being bought by The Old Bath Hotel as an annex. The Old Bath Hotel was situated on the site where Temple Road Car Park now stands. The people who stayed at The Temple were of high standing and as Matlock Bath's most select lodging house it may be assumed that many of the most celebrated visitors to the spa town will have crossed its threshold.

Matlock Bath was a haven for Victorian holiday makers who flocked here in order to take advantage of the natural hot springs that gave the village its name. Although the springs are no longer in public use they do still feed the ponds and fountains of the village. The Temple does have its own spring but unfortunately itís not a hot one.

Lord Byron

The infamous Lord Byron stayed here whilst he was in love with his distant cousin Mary Chaworth. Unfortunately Mary did not feel the same way for young Byron. After a ball at The Old Bath Hotel....

The infamous Lord Byron stayed here whilst he was in love with his distant cousin Mary Chaworth. Unfortunately Mary did not feel the same way for young Byron. After a ball at The Old Bath Hotel, where Mary danced with other young men, Lord Byron felt moved to write a poem of how he felt at the time. Fortunately for us he could not find a pen and paper and etched the aforesaid poem onto a window in the later named Byron Room. The pane has now been removed from the window but is still at The Temple.

"Where-so-ever is Foll'y Court, Mortals unthinking will resort. For want of reason, still, Shame on our sex! As for the fair, They all want something ev'ry where. And something want they will when not..."

Rumour has it that he never finished this poem. A guest was so inspired by Lord Byron that he wrote a poem to the previous owner's daughter.

Queen Victoria

Among other visitors to The Temple was Queen Victoria when still a princess of 13 years of age. She visited the cotton mill in Cromford and is reputed to have stayed in Matlock Bath. Her signature is to be found along with Lord Byron's on the same pane....

Among other visitors to The Temple was Queen Victoria when still a princess of 13 years of age. She visited the cotton mill in Cromford and is reputed to have stayed in Matlock Bath. Her signature is to be found along with Lord Byron's on the same pane. She also gave the inspiration for Matlock Bath's Illuminations held during September and October.

Refurbishment and Restoration

We are currently undergoing a long term renewal project of the building....

We are currently undergoing a long term renewal project of the building. Some areas of the hotel have not been used for several years and are being refurbished along with the bedrooms and public areas. We are also slowly restoring the original Georgian sash windows, maintaining as much of the original frames as possible.

Whilst redecorating the foyer some interesting colours and patterns were uncovered near to the entrance. Faux panels of dark brown with black edging once surrounded dark orange walls and a fireplace, framed in deep red. We imagine this was a very dark area when The Temple was only lit by candles and lamps for the first guests in the 18th century. We hope you will prefer our new foyer (pictured).